Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rows of Planted Family Trees

I am an only child. All my life I have had the only child stereotype hanging over my head. "You're spoiled" is the most common remark I hear when I disclose to people my lack of siblings. Obviously that is something I could not control, but  I used to beg my parents so badly for a little sister or a big brother (I was too young to understand that I was already the oldest). When I was eight years old, my mom got pregnant. At first I was overjoyed! I was finally getting the little brother or sister I so desperately wanted. After I sat and thought awhile, though, I realized that I wouldn't be getting all the toys at Christmas. I would be over shadowed by this newcomer, and mommy and daddy would give all their attention to my new sibling and not me. (Okay, I guess you could say I was spoiled... but it wasn't my fault, it's all I had ever known.)
Well as the next few weeks passed mom started having problems with the baby. She went in for an ultrasound and the doctors realized that the baby's heart was not developing properly. Eventually she lost the baby, and we were all devastated.
When I think back to this experience I can't help but realize the importance of family. Family is the most powerful unit on earth. We are given our first life experiences in the family unit. We are taught by our parents, our grandparents, and anyone who spends time with us. Which brings me to my next thought... Family doesn't always necessarily mean that you need to be blood to be considered "family". Because I had no siblings I made up for that lack in other ways. Growing up, my closest friend was my neighbor. She was my same age and lived about five houses down. When she was ten years old her mom died from cancer. Since that time she became my sister. My family was her second family and we spent all our time together. I did have to learn some of the things from her, like sharing, that siblings inherently learn from each other. Still, however, we were inseparable. Then, when we were twelve we met a couple who lived across the street from us who had no children. And from that time on we became like family to them. We were like their children (besides their adorable wiener dog child that they shower with love), and they were like another set of parents.
So, I guess my point from all this... from the let down of not having a blood sibling, to finding my sister in my best friend, and to my neighbors finding children in us... is that we are shaped by others close to us. Family to me doesn't mean that it has to just be blood relatives. We are taught about life and love and trust and happiness by those who are willing to be around us. I have the best family in the world, even if we all have different last names. Now, when I still get the "Oh, you must be spoiled!" remark from people about  being an only child I just brush it off and think about how lucky I am to have my extended family.

No comments:

Post a Comment